Luku Melolo and Lulundilu Protection Forests
Luku Melolo, also known as Praimbana Lakatang, Protection Forest comprises an area of 7,700 ha. in southeast Sumba. The site consists of a river valley with evergeen forest along the Luku Melolo river and is surrounded by steep limestone escarpments supporting monsoon forest. Luku Melolo is recommended for protection as a nature reserve by the Birdlife International Indonesia Programme.
Lulundilu Protection Forest (18,000 ha.) encompasses a ridge and shallow valley covered by semi-deciduous forest to the east of Luku Melolo. The western forest boundary follows a small river and is sharply defined. The northern and the eastern forest boundaries are being encroached by grasslands. Lulundilu Protection Forest is recommended for protection as a wildlife reserve by the Birdlife International Indonesia Program.
Several buses a day make the 2-hr. ride from Waingapu to Melolo. The sites are located 21 km. west of Melolo and are not served by public transport.
o Losmen Hermindo
PHPA, Jl.Gatot Subroto 10, Waingapu.
* Sumba Hornbill – Aceros everetti
* Yellow-crested Cockatoo – Cacatua sulphurea
* Sumba Green-Pigeon – Treron teysmannii
* Short-toed Snake-Eagle – Circaetus gallicus
* Peregrine Falcon – Falco peregrinus
* Elegant Pitta – Pitta elegans
* Sumba Myzomela – Myzomela dammermani
* Sumba Cicadabird – Coracina dohertyi
* Sumba Brown Flycatcher – Muscicapa segregata
* Sumba Flycatcher – Ficedula harterti
* Apricot-breasted Sunbird – Nectarinia buettikoferi