Gulai Manis Rajungan
West Sumatran Blue Crab Curry
recipe by Tabloid Nova, modified by me
5 – 6 blue crabs, brushed
1200 ml coconut milk (I combined 1000 ml coconut milk, 1/4 cup coconut cream, and 200 ml clam juice)
4 red/cayenne chilies, cut lengthwise
2 asam kandis (can be substituted for kokkam or gorakha, find this ingredient at Indian/Carribean stores)
2 lemongrasses, take the white parts and bruise
oil for stir fry
Grind into spices (bumbu/rempah) a paste
3 cloves garlic
3 cm long turmeric, roasted and peeled (can be used for turmeric powder instead)
2 cm long ginger, peeled
2 cm long galangal
1 tsp whitepeppercorn
1 tsp coroander seed
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1. Steam the crabs until turn colour.
2. At medium – high, heat up the oil in a pot. Stir fry bumbu/rempah paste until fragrant. Add chilies and cook until wilted.
3. Reduce the heat. Add clam juice, coconut cream and coconut milk.
4. Stir occasionally in order to have a good mixture not bursted one unti it’s boiled.
5. Add crabs and asam kandis, cook until the liquid thicken. Remove and serve with rice.